Grupo Estévez S.A.

Carretera Nacional IV Km. 640. 11408
Jerez de la Frontera. España
Tfn. +34 956 321 004
Fax. +34 956 340 829

Home > José Estévez > History


The origins of the Jose Estevez S.A wine cellars (Bodegas) are from the Jose Lena Rendon and Co. enterprise, which was established in 1809 for ageing Sherry and Brandy.

In 1894, Mr. Ruiz, the principal shareholder, changed the name of the company to his own: Felix Ruiz and Ruiz, S.A. At this time, the business reached as far as Northern Europe and South America.

Since 1974 the Estevez family has managed the entire company and in 1984 the name of the company was changed to Jose Estevez S.A. In keeping with the traditions of a family business, great importance has been given to the care of the ageing of the wines.

In 1982, Jose Estevez de los Reyes bought a large proportion of shares in the Marques del Real Tesoro bodega, taking over the whole company in 1985, injecting financial and professional support. By 1989 the Estevez family held a 95% share of the company.

The same year, 1989, the Estevez family drew up a plan to merge the two companies, JOSE ESTEVEZ, S.A. and MARQUES DEL REAL TESORO, S.A., investing in a "brand new" facility, the actual headquarters. These buildings include the new offices, ageing cellars, bottling plant, refrigeration plant, warehouses, laboratories and controlled fermentation plants. This new structure reinforces the new Bodegas José Estévez, S.A., equipped with the most modern machinery and technology in Spain. Following this philosophy of expansion, in May 1993, the international brand of Fino wine "Tio Mateo", is acquired, as well as its complete "Solera". One of the oldest wineries in Jerez, A.R. VALDESPINO, is acquired in September 1999; and in 2007, the Estévez family takes control of "Hijos de Rainera Pérez Marín y M. Gil Luque", proprietors of the well-known Manzanilla "La Guita", from Sanlucar de Barrameda, which is the market leader in Spain.